SAVE THE DATE!
TUFC Conference is September 18-19
Mark your calendar for the 23rd annual Urban Forestry Conference September 18-19 at Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville. The Tennessee Tree Climb will be held September 20 at Ellington.
Programs will focus on problems and solutions for arborists and government tree stewards. TUFC will present the annual Awards of Excellence.
Suttles' Boundary Oak
added to Heritage Registry
This 76-foot white oak is documented in a Sevier County deed of 1866. It was added to the Landmark Registry in 2004, but fell in a storm in 2006. It is now on the Registry of Heritage Trees, which are no longer living. More
Nashville's Davidson Academy a Level 1 arboretum
Davidson Academy in Nashville now has a Level 1 arboretum. During the fall semester, 22 Garden Club participants in grades K5 – 3 identified trees and planted new species. Parents, grandparents, teachers, and staff donated 41 trees. A .3-mile tree trail begins at the Lower School entrance. A brochure and map are available in the front lobby. Call 615/860-5300 to schedule a tour.
Center for Excellence has busy quarter
TUFC’s first Center of Excellence, Memphis Botanic Garden, reported a busy first quarter of tree activities. Highlights include:
- Presented a brown bag lunch lecture by Fred Morgan with Morgan Tree Services on tree selection, care, and maintenance to 29 attendees.
- Assisted with arboretums at New Hope Christian Academy and International Place
- Hosted TUFC board meeting, Strategic Planning Committee, and general meeting.
- Conducted Tree Outreach Program for 30 students in two preschool classes.
- Lent tree class resource box to synagogue for Tu Bishvat tree celebration.
- Hosted interactive exhibit on trees in Visitors Center, plus a display from TUFC-sponsored poster contest celebrating Memphis as a Tree City.
- Hosted the Official State of Tennessee Arbor Day with about 100 in attendance. Tree City USA was announced, and we gave away 396 seedlings.
- Certified Arborist Chris O’Bryan spoke to the Tennessee Naturalist program on botany.
- Arborist Chris O’Bryan featured on public access program at Germantown High School.
Governor's residence opens tree trail
Third graders from Algood Elementary School in Cookeville visit the governor's home on Earth Day for a new tree education program, the Tennessee Residence Tree-Mendous Trail.