This large Shumard Oak, Quercus shumardii, has stood on the property of the Perkins Winstead House for more than 195 years, which will soon be known as the history, art and culture museum of the Franklin Grove Estate & Gardens. The property includes the Haynes Berry House (originally the McNutt House), which formed the Female Seminary of Franklin Grove from 1832 to the 1850’s.
The Perkins home was partially burned in 1862 by Union soldiers. The Confederates engaged the 40th Ohio infantry in the backyard of the McNutt home later that year but in 1863 the town fell to the Union and the 90th Pennsylvania calvary camped in the backyard of the McNutt home with 900 men, 60 wagons, and 240 mules. Various ownership and changes occurred in the following years with Franklin Grove, but the Shumard oak witnessed it all.
The Winstead House was listed on the National Register in 1979.
Nominated in 2024 by Anna Marcum of the Williamson County Heritage Foundation. Entered into the Registry as a Historic Tree.
